Harissa Salmon Burger
all units: U.S. Imperial
- 1.5 pounds of salmon, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 scallions, whites only, chopped.
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ cup homemade aioli or store-bought mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp red harissa sauce or paste
- Pinch of fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Butter lettuce, pickled cucumber and brioche buns to build the burgers
Using a food processor, take half the salmon meat and pulse it into a paste in the food processor, and place into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining salmon, peppers and scallions. Season with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Portion and press the salmon burger meat into patties and place onto a baking sheet. Allow the burgers to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking (you can do this the night before).
While the burgers are setting, make the harissa spread. In a small bowl mix the aioli or mayonnaise with 2 tbsp of red harissa.
To cook, heat a cast iron skillet, once the pan is warm in the center, drizzle with grapeseed oil to coat the pan evenly. Cook the burgers until golden brown on both sides.
Serve the burgers on toasted brioche buns and layered with harissa spread, butter lettuce, pickled cucumbers. Serve immediately.